Molecular models are essential tools in the study of introductory organic chemistry. Hands-on manipulation makes fundamental concepts easier to grasp. When used in conjunction with remote learning, it is more important than ever that they be intuitive to use. We list two below that will meet all your needs whether you are in class or need to study remotely.
Introductory Chemistry Molecular Models Set 68845NV
We call the 68845NV an introductory chemistry molecular models set because it is inexpensive. However, it has many features that make it suitable for upper-year chemistry courses and other areas of study including biology, nursing, pharmacy & engineering.
- Intuitive even for non-chemistry majors – no special tutorials needed to learn how to use
- Bonds attach to atoms easily and securely and show structures clearly
- Builds organic molecules and inorganic crystal lattices
- Can build any of the essential amino acids
- Can illustrate 19 important functional groups
- Wide choice of atom geometries and colours
- 4 bond lengths to indicate relative atom radii
- Optional bonds and atoms for sp2 geometry as also used in our 12 base pair DNA model
- Electron orbitals and necessary atom geometries for teaching VSEPR theory
- Optional non-VSEPR atom shapes for biochemical molecules and lattices
- Customize for current or future educational needs – an extensive range of parts in stock
- Components are compact so that introductory and comprehensive sets are readily portable
- Reliable and accurate advice only from Indigo Instruments
- 3D Molecular Model Builder shows compounds you can build
Augment this set with extra parts for inorganic chemistry, biochemistry, point groups, and crystal lattices. Orbit features atoms with geometries not found elsewhere including more types of trigonal atoms, 8 & 12 coordinate metals & a unique connector for ferrocene (included in our Point Group Set).
Intro Organic Chemistry Molecular Model Set 62053
Molymod is the most recognized of all molecular models; copied widely in style but rarely in quality. Our Chemistry Molecular Model Set 62053 set is popular in universities, especially among biology premeds. It has a very fast learning curve, aided by most textbooks that represent molecules in the same way.
Having said that, it may be equally valuable as a tool for instruction by professors teaching remotely. This set has some additional features not found in any other model sets. These don’t normally factor into buying decisions for introductory chemistry but may help lecturers and teaching assistants explain some of the more advanced concepts.Go to the Details/Related Images section of this model set. The first (& part of 2nd) row images have links to videos that demonstrate these concepts:
- SN2 reactions which use trigonal bipyramidal atoms not found in most sets
- Two different representations of univalent hydrogen to help illustrate ring expansion
- SN1 reactions, E2 advanced stereochemistry
- New and improved bonds for cyclohexane chair boat flips
Other videos have been produced to illustrate E2 symmetry & axial-equatorial steric hindrance in cyclohexane. The latter also shows the recently improved bonds used in Molymod which allow for a smooth chair boat flip and rotation in other structures.
AtoMag™ Magnetic Molecular Models
Magnetic molecular models can be a major timesaver if you need to conduct tutorial sessions repeatedly. Our AtoMag™ magnetized Molymod models include cyclohexane, chirality, & most important functional groups.
Other Indigo Molecular Model Blogs
- Molecular Models in Hollywood & TED Lectures
- Zeolite Catalyst Molecular Models
- Best Teaching DNA Double Helix Model
- Magnetic Molecular Models, Functional Groups